Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is the NYILDBF (New York Independent Livery Driver Benefit Fund)?A non-profit corporation established by New York State legislation to ensure coverage of certain injuries.
  • What types of injuries are covered?Injuries resulting in death, amputation or loss of arm, leg, hand or foot, multiple fingers, index finger, multiple toes ear, nose, paraplegic, quadriplegic, total permanent blindness and deafness or as a result of a crime against livery driver.
  • How much will it cost to join ILDBF?Membership in the fund initially came with a cost of $260 per affiliated vehicle. This is a low cost considering the alternative of paying for traditional workers compensation insurance which ranges from $1300 to $1500 per affiliated vehicle. Since the inception of the fund, the Board of the Livery Fund has been able to reduce the fees for each member to $240 , $220 and then $210. For 2017, the membership fee will be $195 per affiliated vehicle
  • Who is covered by the fund?Drivers are covered while on a dispatch from an independent livery base. All other employees, dispatchers and office workers must be covered by a separate workers' compensation policy.
  • How do I join the NYILDBF?
    1. Resolve all debt with Workers' Compensation Board.
    2. Sign an affirmation attesting eligibility to become member.
    3. Complete an application along with payment to fund insurance carrier and submit along with payment.

    Certification will be provided upon approval of membership.
  • Where do I get an affirmation form?You may contact:

    Hereford Insurance Company,
    36-01 43rd Ave. LIC, NY 11101
    Phone: 718-361-9191

     or download the forms from our website.
  • Why must a base join the fund or obtain a full workers compensation policy by 1/1/10?Pursuant to a law change, the section that created the NYILDBF makes livery bases employers of all the drivers they dispatch for the purpose of workers' compensation.
  • What happens if bases don't have full workers compensation?Bases must provide the TLC with proof of full workers' compensation for drivers. Bases that aren't covered or don't provide workers' compensation are subject to enforcement actions including:
    1. Revocation of license to operate as a base.
    2. Subject to Stop Work Order.
    3. Subject to civil fines from workers' compensation at a rate of $2,000 for every ten days for failure to provide workers compensation coverage.
    4. Base will be responsible for medical and wage benefits for all injuries to any affiliated drivers.
  • What will I need to obtain a new livery base license in NYC, Westchester County and Nassau County?In order to obtain or renew a license, a livery base must provide proof of membership in the ILDBF or a full workers' compensation policy that includes coverage for drivers. If proof of membership in ILDBF is produced, the base will also need to produce workers compensation coverage for non-driver workers, or obtain an exemption form which is available at the Workers Compensation Board website.
  • How do I find out if I have debt with the Workers Compensation Board?Contact 1-866-298-7830.
  • What are the Boards plans for collecting debt?There are two types of debt to the Board. Money owed to the Board is either for civil penalties or for money paid from the Uninsured Employers Fund (UEF) relating to uninsured claims.
    1. Fines for failure to provide workers compensation coverage. 

      All civil penalties for failure to provide workers' compensation coverage through 12/31/09 will be forgiven.

    2. Claims for reimbursements of benefits paid by the Board for uninsured employers. Reimbursements made by the Board to injured workers.

      Offer of settlement letters have been sent for money owed for reimbursement for claims which reduce the debt by 85% if paid within 30 days of receipt of offer.

  • How do I file a claim for benefits with the ILDBF?If you are injured on the job, you should complete the Board's form Employee Claim (C-3) as soon as possible to ensure your benefits are not delayed or interrupted. You must also notify your dispatching base and the Fund through its insurance carrier (Hereford Insurance Company) in writing of when, where and how you were injured or became ill. 

    There are several ways to file the Employee Claim (C-3) form.
    • Call 1-866-396-8314, and someone from the WCB will help you fill out the form.
    • File a paper Employee Claim (C-3) form.
      • You may obtain a paper Employee Claim (C-3) form by visiting any District Office; by printing form C-3 from the WCB website; or by calling (877) 632-4996, and the Board will mail you one.
      • If you submit a paper form, please mail the completed Employee Claim (C-3) form to the District Office nearest you.
    You will be notified by mail of any action regarding your claim. 
  • Remember: You must file a claim within two years of the accident. You must also notify your employer if you are hurt on the job.
  • Death ClaimsWhen a claimant has passed away at work or due to an existing work injury/illness, the Next of Kin should file a C-62 (with the appropriate documentation) to the Board. The form C-64 would need to be filed by the last treating physician stating how the deceased death is causally related to work (or the previous work injury). The C-65 would be completed by the funeral Home.
  • To notify the ILDBF of a claim, contact:
  • Hereford Insurance Company 
    36-01 43rd Avenue, 2nd Fl. 
    Long Island City, NY 11101
    Tel: 718-361-9191